Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Material Obsession, things I envy

I've been plugging away over here getting my quilts pieced with everything I already own.  I promise I will only buy batting and thread!  And yet...i got a great book at the library.

I think I need to buy this book it's called Material Obsession, Modern Quilts with Traditional Roots.  You can read a review here.  Anyway looking at most of these quilts I decided i really need to go visit Grandma.  I need to ask her if I can have her quilting frame before someone else comes along and takes it.. You know how things go with big families.  Most of these quilts are hand quilted with big chunky stitches.  Something Grandma would frown on.  Her stitch is Beautiful.  She is a hand quilter.  She's the reason I quilt.  I love her quilts like they are my children. 






















The Back is beautiful.  I wish she would have made a whole cloth.  Imagine if she had learned Tripunto?




















Meanwhile This is what's I've been busy with all in the mosquito infested back yard.




















Some of those cucumbers are past their prime.  I had to toss them.  If you miss them they turn into bitter watermelon sized cukes.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

That's some eye candy for sure in that book. I used to read their blog, and every single day it seemed like they posted the most amazing colorful creations.

And about the bee blocks -- every month it's usually only $2 or less out of my pocket (per bee) to mail back the envelopes with my blocks in them + the time to make the blocks. So 11 months out of the year it's not too bad. The month that is mine is, of course, more expensive. You have to buy fabric to send out and usually mail it to at least 11 people, so it's usually $22 or so for postage + the fabric. But the last time it was my month I tried to stick with mostly just fabric from my stash so I saved some money there. Plus, with at least 11 people making you blocks, you can think of it as saving some money as well if you believe that "time is money" and you're not having to make all those blocks yourself. :) I've really enjoyed the quilting bees. I don't think I could handle being in more than two, though, since it does take some time to make the blocks, but I've made "friends" (virtual, of course) and enjoyed getting to learn so many new techniques that I would've NEVER tried on my own like curved piecing and paper piecing and improv.

Boys

Boys

About Me

My photo
I quilt and sew and crochet. I like learning new things.